This recipe for delicious golden, crispy, fried buttermilk chicken is a real crowd pleaser.
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 30-40 mins
- 8-10 chicken pieces – a mixture of thighs and drumsticks, on the bone with skin on
- 300ml Avonmore Buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 litres sunflower oil
For the seasoning mix
- Zest 2 lemons
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp sea salt
For the spiced flour mix
- 225g plain flour
- 2½ tbsp cornflour
- 2¼ tsp garlic granules
- 2¼ tsp salt
- 2¼ tsp chilli powder
- Black pepper
- Put all the ingredients for the seasoning mix into a dish. Add the chicken pieces and coat well, then cover and put in the fridge to chill for 12-24 hrs.
- Put the ingredients for the spiced flour mix in a bowl and combine well.
- Put the Avonmore Buttermilk and egg in another bowl and whisk lightly.
- Coat the chicken pieces by dipping them in the Avonmore Buttermilk mix, making sure they are completely covered.
- Next, roll the chicken in the spiced flour mix.
- Fill a deep frying pan or saucepan half full with oil and heat the oil until the temperature reaches 170°C.
- Fry the chicken pieces in batches of 3-4 pieces at a time, cooking for 10-12 minutes each until golden brown. Turn the chicken several times to ensure it cooks evenly. You can use a thermometer to check the meat is fully cooked by inserting it next to the bone – it will be cooked when it reaches 73°C.
- Drain the chicken on kitchen paper and place in a dish in the oven to keep warm while you cook the remaining chicken pieces.
- Serve with your choice of fries, coleslaw, corn on the cob or salad.